Friday, December 11, 2009

I Could Use Some Advice!

I could use some gardening advice from all my blotanical friends.  I have two Orchids that I have kept alive for almost a year now...a miracle, considering I have killed every one I've touched before that!  I wrote a blog post a  couple months ago on how I acquired these Orchids and how I take care of them. I've grown very attached to these plants, and would be pretty upset if something went wrong with them.  About a month ago I noticed that one of them started putting off leaves from the flower shoots.  Soon after that, roots started forming from those leaves.  So, my question is, do I leave them on the plant and have a really cool looking Orchid, or do  I cut them off and start three new orchids (which would be kinda neat to say I did!)? Again, I don't want to harm them, and I'm a little out of my plant element with these plants since I've never gotten this far with any other Orchid!







Any advice would be much appreciated!

7 comments:

  1. Hi, Sarah - I know nothing about orchids. I wish I did! However, you might ask Ryan at Ryan's Garden. He is on my favorite list or just go to his plot. I think I remember reading a post about Orchids on his blog. He might have some advice for you....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you might consider starting them off and you'll have three plants and blooms, it should then be easier to take care of in threes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Sarah, this is a keiki or baby orchid. After it has developed several leaves and the roots are a few inches long, you can cut it off the mother plant, being careful not to damage the roots and leaves. Pot it up into a small pot with orchid bark. Now you be a good mother to all your new orchids. lol
    Hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deb! I'll just wait for them to get a little bigger and start them in some new pots. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It'll be interesting to see what answers you get. I am an orchid killer. I just stopped trying to grow them. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried to grow orchids but I think that they are so beautiful. What a great surprise to know that your orchid is reproducing! Perhaps this is the orchid for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is very interesting... I've never seen that happen... Mine just throw out more flower stems rather than babies!

    ReplyDelete

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails