Sunday, May 16, 2010

'Frostproof' Gardenia


I've always said that when I die, I want heaven to smell like Gardenia's.  I love their sweet scent, and I am so excited that mine are in full bloom.  My mom had Gardenia's in our backyard while I was growing up, so I'm always reminded of her when I smell them. It's plant nostalgia at it's best!


These Spring bloomers do very well in a partly sunny area and prefer an acidic soil with moderate amounts of water.  The 'Frostproof' variety is a glossy, dark green leaved, evergreen shrub that reaches 3-4 ft.  Its name comes from the flower buds ability to resist damage from a late Spring frost. It's quickly become my favorite variety of Gardenia for it's round compact growth habit.  It's perfect for a low growing shrub in front of taller bushes or in front of windows. 


My favorite thing to do is bring my favorite scent inside.  I pick off some blooms (with the help of my youngest son) and float them in a bowl of water for a day or two.  They will fill a room with heaven in no time!

This plant made my day! How 'bout yours?

2 comments:

  1. I love gardenia's too!! For the same exact reason! My mom had one when I was growing up and she would pick a few flowers and float them in a bowl on the kitchen table!! I can't wait to get more of them for my yard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more; I've always thought that Gardenia's smell like a little slice of heaven! Funny, my parents too grew them while we were growing up; however, they never floated them in a bowl, but I got to take them to my teachers every year in elementary school. I purchased a $40 Gardenia plant last May & it died. In fact, I don't think I ever got any blooms out of it. I suck at gardening! -SR

    ReplyDelete

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails