Sunday, September 13, 2009

American Beauty Berry

Erik and I took the boys Geocaching after church today. (See my previous blog on Geocaching for an explanation of what it is.)  As we hiked through the local parks in Cypress, I came across my plant of the day!  This is American Beauty Berry. Maybe it's because I am extremely partial to purple, but I think this is my favorite Texas native...ever.  Isn't this why I do a plant of the day?  I just have too many favorites!  Seriously though, this plant rocks!  These gorgeous purple berry clusters cover the stems of this plant in late summer through fall.  This deciduous shrub will reach 4-6 ft, and will do well in a woodsy, natural setting if brought into a home landscape.  I would love to enjoy this plant in my own back yard, but my favorite place to enjoy this plant is in nature.  So, as the weather is giving us a break with some cooler weather, go out and hike through your local biking and hiking trails.  I'm sure you will come across this beauty!  Just don't eat the berries.  Most parts of this plant are poisonous if ingested.
This plant made my day!  How 'bout yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails