Friday, September 11, 2009

Blue Pea Vine

This tender annual vine is just breath taking in bloom.  The truly royal blue flowers cover the plant from mid-summer through frost in Houston.  This vine can reach 6-10 ft, and does well on the side of an arbor, or climbing up a birdhouse pole.  This plant has caught my eye all summer, but makes my plant of the day today because I saw it's host butterfly, the Long Tailed Skipper, for the first time in the garden today.  Ahh, flowers make me happy, and butterflies make me smile!  Too bad I didn't have my camera with me!  This wonderful vine will freeze back in the winter, but will return from re-seeding in the spring.  It's a must have!
This plant/butterfly made my day! How 'bout yours?

2 comments:

  1. I just bought one. Does it take full sun in houston?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know where I may purchase one in Houston?

    ReplyDelete

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails