Friday, September 4, 2009

Stephanotis


I didn't even know this vine grew in Houston!  I was very surprised today when the guys brought this up from the back to sell!  I have used this flower in countless bridal bouquets over the years.  What a treat it is to have it growing where I can enjoy it longer than a cut flower!  I did some more research on the vine since I have not grown it myself:

Family: Asclepiadaceae (ass-kle-pee-ad-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Stephanotis (stef-ah-NO-tis) (Info)
Species: floribunda (flor-ih-BUN-duh) (Info)

Category:
Tropicals and Tender Perennials
Vines and Climbers

Height:
12-15 ft. (3.6-4.7 m)

Spacing:
8-10 ft. (2.4-3 m)

Hardiness:
USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Sun Exposure:
Sun to Partial Shade

Bloom Color:
White/Near White

Bloom Time:
Mid Summer
Late Summer/Early Fall

Foliage:
Evergreen
Smooth-Textured
Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Other details:
Flowers are fragrant
This plant is suitable for growing indoors
Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater


Now if only I had a space for it in my garden....


This plant made my day!  How 'bout yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions or Comments?

Related Posts with Thumbnails